Monday, June 1, 2009

Thing 19 - Award Winners!

OK, I went and looked at the Web 2.0 Awards as suggested, and the most recent list dated from 2007, which is like a million years old in web years. So I poked around a little, and found out that cnet has something called the Webware100, an annual list of "cool apps for everyone".

Running down the topics list, I was understandably drawn to the Information & Reference page. And I actually have a reference question, involving a washing machine that leaves linty deposits on everything. So armed with my test question, I gave the suggested resources a spin. Most resources gave me a result, but none of them gave me anything better (or frankly different) than what I got from google. I think search engines are still largely a matter of preference, unless you're talking about truly specialty resources.

I decided I'd better play on some of the other resources, I signed up for stardoll.com. Far from the benign silliness of "electronic paperdolls" (as described on the can), this was in fact an uber-branded shopping mall experience, with clothes, accessories and decor all available for the buying. Ick. I'm sure kids (and others) will love it, but it grosses me out.

For what it's worth, in order to keep up with social media applications, I subscribe to Mashable's RSS feed - there's lots there I'm not interested in, but I do star about one entry a day to look at when I have more time.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I know 2007 is ancient--we tried to find a more current list. But there are still some good sites on there!

Michelle Rosenthal said...

I agree with you about the shopping, but I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who would love it.

annot8 said...

I think it was you that mentioned mashable before - I subscribed, and found the traffic like a firehose! Do you have a trick for winnowing out the dross and finding the good stuff?

sd said...

@annot8 - I use google reader, and it's easy for me to skim. Also, if they pile up, I've been known to just "mark all as read" without worrying about it.

iLibrarian http://oedb.org/blogs/ilibrarian/ is a nice library-focused alternative...