Monday, April 13, 2009



I'm a sucker for fake motivational posters. I threw this one together the Motivator Generator at Big Huge Labs, where you can do this and other things to your photos.

Right now, though, my library-related technology obsession is focused on sighting SPL Amnesty Week in the "civilian world". I do a daily Twitter search in the hopes of finding more references (4 so far, and not all of those are from SPL employees).

Which leads me to another obsession, whether library bloggers/facebookers/tweeters are effectively promoting the library. Right now, the majority of my social network is from the planet Librariana (a term designated by the non-librarian boyfriend of a colleage, attending his first Library conference). Figuring out how to break that wall of isolation and communicate with the real world, now that's the next challenge. I'm pretty sure an official library twitter/facebook/blogger identity would be a good start. I'm finding a number of corporate library presences on the various social media resources I frequent, and they're being followed and friended by people who are simply interested in what the library is doing. I think this would be a valuable tool in our promotional arsenal (and essentially free!)

2 comments:

Michelle Rosenthal said...

Have you read some of Jess's tweets from Rancho? They are cute, but I know what you mean I'm not sure how many customers are paying attention to those sort of things.

annot8 said...

27 Things was invited by a participant to set up a Twitter account, and now there is one: http://www.twitter.com/spl27things. Right now I'm the only tweeter, but I'm recruiting the 27Things team ...