Monday, July 28, 2008

Podcasts and frustration.

Well, this morning I tried playing a little with podcasts. I already download/collect/amass (what ever is the verb for this?) a bunch of podcasts, mostly BBC Radio 4 shows I got addicted to while living in the UK. I used to [verb] these on GoogleReader, now I mostly [verb] them on iTunes.

Which leads me to my frustration, probably a common one, having to do with how locked down library computers are. I can't download iTunes at work. In the last few weeks there have been a number of things (delicious toolbars, FreeMind, Firefox) I have not been able to download without an awful lot of kerfuffle. And while I do (I think) understand the reasoning in favor of tight security, homogeneous collections of loaded programs, and limited administrative access, this has more than once seemed like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's clear from things I've read elsewhere that this is not unique to my system, and that many libraries are grappling with this. I don't have an answer (well, other than "I want what I want when I want it," but I fear that's a character failing, not a systemic solution).

The long and short of it, however, is that I will be waiting until I get home this evening to add They Might Be Giant's Friday Night Family Podcast to my iTunes feeds.

No comments: